Sunday, September 20, 2009

Music at the Mill

This weekend helped to reaffirm why I am so happy to be back in NC. For the past 3 years, my aunt has hosted "Music at the Mill", as an event fundraiser for the Francis Mill Preservation Society. The Francis Mill has been owned by my family since 1887, when my great-great-great-grandfather (William Francis) built it.

taken around 1900

He acquired the surrounding land after courting and marrying a lady named, Polly. Her father was apparently a very rich man and gave them one square mile of land as a wedding gift. Anyway, the mill is water powered, turning a wheel to grind corn into corn meal, grits, and corn feed. My aunt is the current owner and began a restoration project of the mill in 2003 that was completed in 2007.


taken in 2001, before the restoration project

This is the first year I have been able to attend "Music at the Mill." I have either been too far away or busy with graduate school. My aunt has done an awesome job restoring the mill. She and her husband were very patient in diligent throughout the process, as it took nearly 4 years to complete. I am very proud to say that I am a "Francis." Even more so, I am proud that a piece of history and culture has been saved.

the wheel turning for the first time since 1976

I told myself a million times, "Kadee, put your camera in your purse"....I still forgot it. So, I don't have any pictures from this weekend. (boo) I'm hoping Abby will pass a few my way. I had a good time listening to local musicians and hanging out with my family. A good crowd, decent weather, cool to see how the mill works, and money made for continued preservation! I look forward to next year!


Abby and Bryan had their wedding at the mill in June 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment